Mundane Doesn't Describe It

For the slackatudinally challenged.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting. Mark Twain, Hard work doesn't harm anyone, but I do not want to take any chances. - Unknown, I am retired and have tried to do as little as possible - slowly. Me.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It Just Ain't Feasible Sometimes

I was watching a cooking show yesterday and the chef was outside in a barbecue mode, but was cooking muscles. He ended by saying that muscles are great, especially if you have a lot of people over and the main course isn’t done yet. Just throw on some muscles and you’ve got instant appetizers.

Now let me get this straight. Just throw on some muscles? Like I have a fresh supply sitting around the house all the time. That’s one thing I hate about cooking shows sometimes. You’ll have these people who will cook up a really nice meal, but it always has some ingredients that a regular small grocery store just doesn’t carry. Fresh Parmigiano Reggiano from the area of Parma in Italy is the cheese to use. There are so many of these cooks that give you recipes that use one certain thing that I just don’t find on my grocery isles.

The program I was watching shows the chef outside in beautiful surroundings, using the best ingredients with an $8,000 grill. There are a lot of people that can do that, but for a majority it’s not possible. I have to admit I’ve seen this chef do shows on regular food preparation, and I know that different areas have different food. However, a lot of cooking shows don’t take into consideration what people can afford.

I have a budget for food and most of the time I plan ahead on what I’m going to purchase and cook. We have a small grocery store in town, but honestly the prices are so high I try not to shop there. So my only alternative is a trip into the city for a day of grocery shopping and picking up other needed things. I just can’t run out and find feta cheese from an area in Southern Greece. As far as organically grown produce or meat, I know of no place around here that has it. Plus if there was a place like that, I hear organically grown food is a lot more expensive which puts it out of reach for a lot of people.

What I’m trying to say, is it’s good to be able to cook like that and use the ingredients. However, most people on budgets or subsistence that only have a local grocery store to go to are left out in the cold. They are the ones who usually have the bad diets, the ones whose health suffers from not poor choices they make, but from a poor selection to choose from.

So whenever I see a chef touting a certain food because of it’s taste and freshness and how healthy it is for you, or some famous person touting their diet book, I don’t pay much attention. You see not everyone is a chef and not everyone is famous and can afford to eat like a king. A lot of people, as with many things in life, have to take what they can get and do the best they can with that.

OK that’s my quarterly rant.


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!