Mundane Doesn't Describe It

For the slackatudinally challenged.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting. Mark Twain, Hard work doesn't harm anyone, but I do not want to take any chances. - Unknown, I am retired and have tried to do as little as possible - slowly. Me.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Southeast Drought And Other Things To Ponder.

I never really thought about a drought hitting this area, but from everything I read and see, it has. Georgia is complaining that Alabama and Florida wants more of its water, and I heard on the news today that there has been a two-decade court battle about this. You always hear about droughts and water rationing in the Southwest, but here is a place I never thought it would be. I don’t think the people in this area are really as upset about it as they should be. For the reason I stated above, you just don’t think of a drought in this area. This is from the B’ham news - Alabama Drought

Earlier this year I wrote about how the massive forest fires in Georgia and Florida had been so bad, that we were getting a lot of smoke in my area, and we were over 300 miles away from the fires. I have to admit; I don’t remember fires in the Southeast that bad before. Whenever I see all of this, the only thing I can think of is global warming. I keep wondering what the world, and especially my area, will look like in ten years. Moreover, I keep wondering how the big cities in the Southwest will sustain themselves. I don’t want to be a doomsayer, but I see the increased population going to the Southwest will start to dwindle. You can’t use up that much water and not replace it.

While our pond out back isn’t as low as it was last year, it is getting there. A couple of pictures of my s-i-l and great nephew out fishing at the pond.





I've been ahead of the curve on conserving water. I haven't watered my lawn in years. So has anyone else started with water restrictions?


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!