Mundane Doesn't Describe It

For the slackatudinally challenged.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting. Mark Twain, Hard work doesn't harm anyone, but I do not want to take any chances. - Unknown, I am retired and have tried to do as little as possible - slowly. Me.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Expecting To Much.

Although I’m a very slackerly kind of person, in some things I’m a perfectionist. If I’m doing something for myself, I might not pay as much attention to detail as I should, but whenever I’ve worked for someone, I’ve always tried to do the best most detailed job I could. To give an example, the last landlady I had was in her mid-70’s. She had told me she could never find anyone to clean her house the way she wanted. She saw how I was taking care of the house I was renting from her and asked would I be interested in cleaning her house. To cut a long story short, I used to go to her house and clean it once ever two weeks. Even when I moved back home she would call and I’d drive and hour and a half to her house. After awhile that just got to be too much and I stopped. The last time I talked to her, she said she couldn’t find anyone who cleaned it as well as I did. I’m not bragging, but when someone is paying me to do something, I do the best job I can.

A couple of months ago I got the lawn mowed but couldn’t do the weed eating and general cleaning of the yard because of my back. My brother said he knew someone who could get it done and so I called the guy. He shows up with his son and I tell him exactly what I want done and we agree on a price. He and his son start working and later I go out to see if they need anything. I look at what they’ve already done and I’m thinking geeze what a shoddy job. So again I tell him exactly what I want.

It ended up when they thought they were through, I had to show them what I had asked them to do earlier that they didn’t do. Now some people take the initiative and do a really good job and other try and get by with doing the minimum. I’d found I had hired someone that did the minimum. So while I was paying him, I was looking at a whole area I had asked him to weed eat that hadn’t been done. I was so frustrated that I thought what’s the use. The one place I did make sure he got done was the area by the pond. I’d heard the snakes down there were beginning to ask where I’d gone.

Anyway after the experience with that guy I was a little hesitant about hiring someone else. Luckily I saw someone across the street mowing, weed eating and cleaning my neighbors yards. I went across the street and asked if he was taking on any new yards. He said possibly and asked which yard. I pointed to our yard and he said let him take a look at it. After he looked at it he said he would charge me $50.00 to do the job. I was flabbergasted at the price. The guy that had done such a shoddy job and was only hired to do the weed eating was asking for $60.00. So needless to say I hired the new guy right away and told him I wanted him back every time he did the neighbors yard.

I talked to Fmom about it and she said that maybe the first guy didn’t know how to do a yard. I told her that there wasn’t that much brain power involved in weed eating a yard. I don’t know, but Fmom might be right. Maybe the first guy was the type that had to have someone standing over him constantly to show him what needed to be done. Maybe this was the first time the guy had ever used a weed eater. Maybe I’m getting old and expect too much. I don’t know, but I sure am happy we’ve found this newest guy. The only thing I have to do is make sure he has a check when he’s done, and I know ahead of time he’ll do a good job.

So do any of ya’ll hate it when you hire someone to do something around your house and you end up having to keep reminding them constantly what you had already told them what to do.

ADDED: Just incase


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!