Mundane Doesn't Describe It

For the slackatudinally challenged.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting. Mark Twain, Hard work doesn't harm anyone, but I do not want to take any chances. - Unknown, I am retired and have tried to do as little as possible - slowly. Me.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Bravery

I’ve been thinking about a conservation I had yesterday, well more of a few comments made in a thread.

Is no man or woman fearless, or are we all afraid?

I’ve thought about myself and know I have many fears. Fears for my family and fears for others not able to take care of themselves. Fears for the world and the path it’s going. I think the list could go on endlessly if I let it, and snakes, can’t forget about snakes.

However, I’ve also thought of bravery and what that is. Is every man and woman brave, do we all have the capacity to bring that self sacrifice forward when needed or wanted for that matter.

I agreed with the writer of the diary that fear is used to rule and sway the masses and that fearful people are easily controlled. But how does that fear affect me. How do I react to news I hear and read everyday? I’m horrified and saddened by the death and destruction I see and hear everyday, but does that raise my fear level. No. I have the convenience of 24/7 news and blogs to see what’s going on, but I don’t live in that fear and frankly don’t know what I would do if I did. I can’t fathom taking a life, but put in a situation of fearing for my family and myself would I be able to? Would all of a sudden the bravery exert itself and I would be able to kill to protect what I hold dear? Is it bravery to kill to protect or to kill for some higher cause? I don’t think so. I think it’s more of a reaction to anger and adrenaline. Dammit, nobody comes into my home and threatens my family. It’s either you or me.

To me, the really brave are the ones that have no way to protect themselves and still live with that fear everyday. The ones that have to go to market or work just to survive, never knowing if today is their last. The ones that only want to be left in peace, but are constantly surrounded by violence. The ones that cry for help, but no one hears or cares. I’m not just talking Iraq here, but many places all over the world including the good old U.S. of A. Violence and hate abounds everywhere and I’ll be the first to admit that I have never understood it.

So yes I can sit here and type out about any little brave thing I do and my petty little fears, but in the long run, I’ve never been tested. Many, many of us have never been tested, but millions live it everyday, and in just one minute of their day, they’ve shown more bravery that I think I have in my entire life. That is true bravery.


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!